Friday, March 19, 2010

It's Spring and a Break is Needed

I come off looking like a disorganized dolt in this little tale so I'm going to start by saying this: My elementary school children and my junior high schooler do not have the same spring break (should that be capitalized? Google is torn). Boy-Child#2 and Girl-Child have two weeks off and Boy-Child#1 has one week, which is the second week of Boy-Child#2 and Girl-Child's break. So they eventually merge. And even though it makes it so that I can't plan anything that isn't local until they're all out at the same time, it's not a horrible arrangement.

This year the elementary school break starts the last week of March; the week that ties into April. And for whatever reason, even though it's written on the calendar clear as day, I had it in my head that this was the last week of March. All this past week, whenever there was whining over getting out of bed in the morning, or grumbling about homework, and OHMYFREAKENLORD the science fair project that needed completing...I would appease the chi-drens with "this is your last week and then it's SPRING BREAK!!!" YAYWOOTWOOTREJOICING! I sent them off to school this morning with a this is your last day yayyy!!

I set off to the grocery store to gather the necessary items one would stock their shelves with when having the kids at home all day. And it was here that I ran into two of my girlfriends. One was there shopping for a camping trip.

"For spring break?" I ask.

"No, just the weekend." she says.

It took me like three days to load my basket onto the conveyor belt and I was all, I bought a ton of stuff. And they note how it's mostly kiddie snacks and I'm like, yeah...getting ready for spring break and the kids being home this week.

What. Are. You. Talking. About?

Today is the last day and then it's spring break <---this was said with a lot less confidence and enthusiasm than when the conversation started. Because our kids go to the same school.

Ummm...yeah...that's next week.

After the three of us and the cashier collected ourselves from fits of laughter I was finally able to say: Man. Are my kids gonna be bummed.

And they were. Not to mention both of them told me I was wrong the second I picked them up from school.

The end.

6 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I can't believe your kids don't have the same spring break. Here, all the public and private schools are on the same schedule for all school breaks, which makes it so much easier for parents to plans.

Oh, and for us, it's always the first week in April.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

I recently tried to wake up my 17 year old daughter at 5:45am for a school day that wasn't a school day. That went over well. It was a flashback to the time my dad tried to wake me up for school on a Saturday when I was a teenager. And I thought he was so stupid then......

stephanie said...

Frick; these moments are remembered forever, beyond all the awesome stuff we do for them.

Best of luck this week. The not-spring-break week...

cactus petunia said...

That one's going down in Farklepants family history, I assure you!

Jason, as himself said...

I don't know WHY the two districts can't just coordinate for goodness sake.

JCK said...

Hope you don't have to shop for more snacks...