Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Hair - Not the Love Rock Musical - and With Less Nudity

Or more accurately; stuff you put on yer hair. I have been a major supporter of Sleek.look smoothing shampoo and conditioner by Matrix for about two years running now.


As is Glamour Magazine, obviously.


It can be found ONLY IN SALONS. At least, that's what they tell you. I don't usually like to point out when one's pants are on fire, but it can also be found in select beauty supply stores. And Target. And Vons. But, ya know, whatevs. I do the beauty supply store route because you can get the economy size for the same price as the heroin chic version found in salons. And Target. And Vons. And it lasts just shy of forever. Especially if you turn it upside down and drain the everloving life out of it. Until you have to accept that it really is empty and has just become a trash item in your shower stall.

But what's a girl to do when she finds herself out of shampoo and doesn't want to drive the three miles to the mall to get more? [It's not really that I don't want to drive; it's more like I can't walk out of the mall with just that. I'm too tempted to pick up a pair of shoes or a bag or a pair of jeans to go with my hair care products. And with the credit and debit card still smarting from Christmas; I don't want to give Mr. Farklepants a stroke. Because I'm thoughtful like that.]

So I tried to find a suitable substitute in the grocery store. Even though it goes against everything I believe in when it comes to hair products. But I did it quick. Like pulling off a band aid. And I went with the Bed Head Moisture Maniac shampoo. Fruity scent aside, I'm really likin' this.


Particularly coupled with the Joico K-PAK conditioner.

And the "silky hair that does just what I want it to with very little effort to beat it into submission" factor allows me to overlook its fruity scent. [Note to manufacturers: Try soap scented. I don't like smelling like a summer melon, thanks.]

Mr. Farklepants is not crazy about the shampoo. In his words it "feels like he never washed his hair by the end of the day". But he doesn't use the conditioner in addition to it so I can't be held responsible for his lack of enthusiasm to get behind this product.

*Matrix photos courtesy of Google Images

26 comments:

stephanie said...

I appreciate your insights and agree with the not wanting to smell like a melon thing [particularly a summer melon, frankly, when it's winter].

Here's hoping my hair resembles yours next time I go shopping for products...(Do you have a money-back guarantee policy?)

P.S. I'm giving you a Fabulous Award at my place. :D

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I think our hair care needs are different, but I can relate to the smarting credit cards.

Jennifer S said...

I might have to try one of these, but not if I have to drive to the mall. Target, I could handle, though.

I'm a huge fan of anything that tames the dryness.

Suburban Correspondent said...

Mr. Farklepants is using fruit-scented shampoo? I think my husband would find that too emasculating.

Manic Mommy said...

I use (and love) the whole Matrix Sleek line even with curly hair - no frizz. I did try and be a good little consumer and tried Pantene. Bad decision.

I like Bed Head although you're dead on with the overpowering smell. I went with "Control Freak".

Andy only likes Clairol Clarifying shampoo for $1.99 for a huge bottle. Go figure.

AZ Mommy said...

Where you been Miss Farklepants? I've missed you!

calicobebop said...

I too love the Matrix products - but I have to use the Color Protection line since my gray is ruthless.

Also, I love Joico flat iron spray - works like a miracle!

Yay! Tootsie is back with beauty advice!!!

Anonymous said...

What is with the weird shampoo odors anyway? I wonder who is in charge of marketplace research--they must only interview tweens to come up with those fragrances.

Anonymous said...

I actually found Moisture Maniac dried my hair. You might think about trying Oatmeal and Honey, too. I loves it.

Anonymous said...

My girls all use the Matrix Sleek Look. They have the wild curly hair, so it helps.

They also have a separate bathroom, so they're famous for telling me at the last minute that they're out of it. When I do go to beauty supply I try to buy twice as much as I think I need... otherwise I'd be there every day!

Lisa..... said...

I love K-pak, but using everyday would probably make me a giant greaseball.

Anonymous said...

I don't want to smell like a melon either. Lemons are okay, though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tootsie! I have been a beautician for 25 years. I love sleek look conditioner. But I use it with Oatmeal and Honey Bed Head or Joico. You should try A Perfect 10 Conditioner. Fan Freaking Tastic!!!! But forget about the shampoo. It smells good. Thats about it.

Anonymous said...

Loving the Matrix Curl Life here (embracing my natural curls, despite all trends to the contrary)
And I just discovered about 3 months ago that Target sold this product! Whoot!
Still, I was happier the one time when I found it in an industrial sized jug at Costco.

Stacie said...

What IS up with the fruity scents anyhow? And they're not even fun like the strawberry scented shampoo when we were kids...and what ever happened to Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific? I love that shampoo!

Anonymous said...

I'm cheap. So I buy the Suave Professionals Sleek and Smooth (or something like that - it's in an orange bottle) for a buck and a half. It's more hillbilly chic than heroine chic, but that's how I roll. And I have awesome hair. lol. Now if only they'd make a knock-off of Chi Silk Infusions ...

Unknown said...

Nice analysis on hair products. And way to think outside the box! I like Bed Head I think. And I actually do like smelling like a summer melon all year long!

Long live fruity smelling stuff!

:-)

beth said...

I am trying to only buy products online for about a year. Thanks for the post.

Saucy said...

I come from a family of people in the beauty-supply industry and am a fervent supporter of salon brands... that said, I've occasionally had to resort to drugstore/grocery product. It never fails to disappoint me, melon or not.

Cheaper in Baht said...

I used to think shampoo would make me look thinner...then I got over it, and spend 99 cents on suave, and the rest of the $9.00 of a nice bottle of wine.

I'm much happier now.

katydidnot said...

i'm printing this and taking it to the store with me. because i cannot, under any circumstance force myself to go the mall for any reason.

also? i think you should buy mr. farklepants some cheap crappy shampoo so he doesn't use your good shampoo all up.

O'Neal (The Woman In Charge Around Here) said...

Once upon a time I was in LOVE with an economy size bottle of Thermasilk shampoo and it lasted forever. Until the day when I finally ran out and found it was no longer being made =0 ! After a little research on the internetz I found some on ebay for a very insane price (apparently I wasn't the only one having withdrawals!)and then read that Sunsilk picked the brand up and incorporated it in their line. It's not the same, but all I have!

PS - My hubby is notorious for dipping into anything I have in the shower. Even more so using waaaay too much of whatever it is on his 2 inch long air. No wonder it's always so greasy!

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

*GASP!* You let Mr. Farklepants use YOUR shampoo? Can't he just use the bar soap or something? I mean, you wouldn't get caught empty-bottled as often that way.

Polly said...

usually its whatever I can get my hands on in 5 minutes flat, but I do at least think about getting something decent....think being the operative word.

Michelle said...

Great recommendations! Thanks.

JCK said...

Fruity shampoo for Mr. F. He'll never get over it.