Thursday, February 21, 2008

Pride In The Name Of Love


Boy-Child#1's guitar skillz are most excellent. His instructor is so impressed that he's given Boy-Child#1 his first solo to learn. How did you know it is Stairway to Heaven? Wow. You blow me away! Digress with me. Right this way...watch that step. Boy-Child#1 is one of my favorite people. I know, I know. He's my son and one's children are their favorite people. He just consistently amazes me. He's creative on an artistic level beyond his years that even I can't grasp. [Like in the movie Defending Your Life and Albert Brooks character says "Where were you? I'm just curious." and Rip Torn says "I'd tell you, but you wouldn't understand." then Albert Brooks says "Don't treat me like a moron. Try me." so Rip Torn says "I was trapped near the inner circle of thought." to which Brooks replies "I don't understand."...it's like that] He's wise like someone who's been around the block a few times and yet incredibly innocent all at once. He has hopes for the future and real ideas to better that future; where I've become so jaded and cynical. I recall learning in my psychology 101 class that adolescents have difficulty grasping the abstract. He is the exception to that rule. He's made abstract his bitch. He's socially aware. He's politically correct - and frankly, I don't feel it is because he's been taught that - I think he was born that way. He roots for the underdog. He's environmentally conscious. He's incredibly caring, sweet, kind, and nice. He has an old soul. He's a born liberal. He voted for Obama. Well, in his class mock election he did. He asked countless questions about every political ad that ran during the primaries. He watches the news, y'all. He loathes war and senseless violence. [Except when it's against his own brother. All is fair in sibling rivalry] His love of animals runs deep. His sense of fairness is firmly in place. He doesn't see good and evil; he considers both sides of the coin. And I predict that he will grow up to be....Bono.

12 comments:

Jennifer S said...

That sounds about right. By the time Boy reaches adulthood, Bono will be headed for the old folks home.

Boy sounds lovely.

AutoSysGene said...

Wow, maybe not Bono maybe the President of the United States. Good job, Mom!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

He sounds like my Danger Boy. I too was compelled to write about his amazing, giving spirit.
http://jugglinglife.typepad.com/juggling_life/2008/01/core-values.html

The shaggy hair, the guitar, rooting for the underdog, the politics--he's my kind of kid!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your son!

Madame Queen said...

Oh, Bubba so wants to be boy child #1. And I hope he can be b/c he sounds like an amazing child. Just as long as he doesn't have Bono's beefy hands....**shudder**..they give me the willies.

A Mom Two Boys said...

Sounds like the kind of kid I'd like Dylan & Zach to grow up to be. Although, my husband hates Bono (I KNOW!!! WTF?) and is a Republican (again I KNOW!!! WTF?) so he might take issue with that.

Nice work! Oh, and I'm finally getting to the meme you tagged me for! Finally!

Angie @ KEEP BELIEVING said...

Your oozing pride is, well... beautiful. Really
KEEP BELIEVING

Texasholly said...

Oh that is so sweet! What is with the Stairway to Heaven solo? You are going to be hearing that in your sleep for years.

Mrs. G. said...

He definitely has the rock star vibe.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Send him here to Georgia. Perhaps he can rub some of that off onto my 18-year old son.

Oh, I kid. My 18-year old is wonderful, and is many of those things that you describe about your son. Except for he can't play guitar, damn it.

Anonymous said...

Upon accepting the Nobel Prize, he will say, "My mother is the reason that I was free to think and feel the way my mind and heart guided me." Way to go, Mom.

JCK said...

Boy sounds awesome. But, then his mom is hysterically funny and yes, sweet. Maybe not politically correct, but honey, WHO has time!

He is ADORABLE.